Glazed & Grilled Cabbage 'Steaks' - a crazy simple recipe that is as tasty as it is beautiful.
Purple Cabbage - Green Cabbage's healthier sibling. This powerful, bright and budget-friendly vegetable is packed with vitamins, minerals and gut-friendly fiber. Try to buy a head every week (small if you're single like myself - it chops up into much more than you think).
- Purple cabbage is very high in photochemicals (specifically anthrocyanins, if you care to know), and they are wonderful because they are known to protect from all sorts of cancer.
- This protective feature is also what gives red cabbage it's distinctly rich purple color (think eggplant, blueberries, cabbage).
- It's also high in Vitamin K, C, B6 and the powerful mineral Potassium (which can help balance out diets higher in sodium).
Below is the recipe - but feel free to sauté them, microwave them, or eat them raw by chopping them up fine and putting them in a salad. For a super easy explanation on how to chop cabbage - go here!.
- 1 head of cabbage, cut into 1″ thick slices (I used red, but green works too!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 3 large garlic cloves, smashed (pre-chopped garlic works too)
- 1 teaspoon salt (sea salt tastes best)
- freshly ground black pepper
- spray olive oil OR non-stick cooking spray
- Optional - I added sesame seeds, and a dash of soy sauce on the cabbage after cooking
- Preheat oven to 400F and coat baking sheet with spray/oil
- Remove outer cabbage leaf and slice into 1" slices. I removed the core first (see pictures below)
- Combine salt, pepper, garlic, and oil and rub on both sides of cabbage
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes. Flip cabbage carefully and cook for another 20-30 minutes
- Serve hot, enjoy with a side of lentils, and maybe even a glass of wine :)