The Story of Tammy's Tonic
Tammy is my best friend's spritely and a semi-sassy neighbor who I must credit, as she gave me the idea to create this recipe. She has been drinking a similar drink for months and has claimed her inflammation has gone down, and her energy has increased noticeably. She insists her skin is brighter and tighter too. Tammy is the best.
So I ventured to create my own version of this recipe, using fresh ingredients as well as dry, and to create a tonic concentrate.
With a major hat tip to Tammy for the inspiration, I have created a tonic that is as nutritious as it is delicious. Blending fresh turmeric, ginger, cracked pepper, and cinnamon with water creates a semi-soft concentrate with a symphony of flavors and benefits. It is then mixed with a milk alternative, and warmed, transforming it into a satisfying golden milk.
This recipe makes a very generous amount of tonic. It luckily keeps well in the fridge, and let's be honest - it probably won't last very long. Enjoy!
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup powdered turmeric (organic if possible)
- 1 inch fresh Ginger (very finely chopped)
- 3/4 inch fresh turmeric (very finely chopped)
- 1 tsp. Ceylon or Vietnamese cinnamon
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
Bring water to a boil, and add all of the above ingredients. Stir continuously for 2-3 minutes on low to no heat. When it's thick and paste-y, let it cool. Wah-lah! Turmeric tonic.
TURMERIC MILK (using the above tonic as concentrate)
- 1 tsp of tonic
- 1 cup unsweetened milk-alternative (I use soy, almond or hemp - any will work)
- 1 -3 tsp. wild honey (to taste)
- 1 tsp. of tonic
- 1 cup sweetened milk-alternative (I love it with vanilla!)
*Mix, heat (via microwave or stove ), and relax while you sip your way to better health.
Let me know how you like it!